- Bilingual Identity
- Innovative Curricular Design
- Language Program Coordination
- Foreign Language Literacy
- Foreign Language Writing
Nineteenth-Century French and Russian Literature
- Ph.D. Comparative Literature, University of California, Berkeley, 1983
- M.A. Comparative Literature, University of California, Berkeley, 1976
- B. A. French and Comparative Literature with Honors and Distinction in General Scholarship, University of California, Berkeley, 1975
- 2020-Present: Chair, Department of French and Italian, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 2011-2013: Director, Education Abroad Program in France
- 2002-Present: Director, Lower Division French Program, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- 2000-2002: Academic Coordinator for the Berkeley Language Center.
- 1986-2002: Coordinator, Second-Year French Program, University of California, Berkeley.
Academic Distinctions and Awards
- Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Academiques (2017)
- UC Consortium for Language Learning and Teaching Award for Outstanding Contributions to Language Teaching at the University of California (2004).
- UC Berkeley College of Letters and Science McEnerney Grant (with Richard Kern and the Department of French, 1996-99).
- Gilbert Chinard Prize for best pedagogical article published in The French Review in 1991-92.
- Foreign Language Pedagogy; Second Language Acquisition
- Foreign Language Writing and Literacy
- Bilingual Identity
- Nineteenth-and-Twentieth Century French Literature and Culture
- "The Impact of Education Abroad on Bilingual Identity Co-Construction: The Shocks that Shatter." The French Review (92.3) 2019.
- Reseau: Communication, Integration, Intersections. (With Marie-Paule Tranvouez). Pearson Educaiton. 2014.
- "Second Language Writing in an Era of Globalization." In Cimasko & Reichelt, eds. Foreign Language Writing Instruction: Principles and Practice. Parlor Press. 2011.
- "The Gordian Knot: Language, Literature, and Critical Thinking." In Scott & Tucker, eds. SLA and the Literature Classroom: Fostering Dialogues. Heinle & Heinle. 200
- Numerous articles in such journals as The Modern Language Journal, The French Review, etc.